Through completing a first aid course, you will gain the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response, recognise and respond to life-threatening emergencies and perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) Guidelines.
Learn the skills and knowledge required to prepare for and provide medication assistance, complete medication documentation and support a client to self-administer medication.
You will learn how to:
- Read and understand basic medical terminology
- Correctly store medication
- Identify potential medication errors and the reasons why they most commonly occur
- Read medication charts and ensure the medication being administered is a current order and in date
- Prepare and assist with medication
- Prepare the client for assistance with administration of medication
- Support clients with self-administration of medication
- Handle medical contingencies
- Complete medication distribution and documentation
Upon successful completion of assessment task(s) students will be awarded a Statement of Attainment for unit: HLTHP2006 - Assist clients with medication
Who should do this course?
This course applies to any individual who, as part of their work role, is required to assist clients with medications, complete medication documentation and handle medication in the workplace. This course is suitable for employees in aged care, health care, individual support, or community services.